You are here
Hawaii - The Big Island & Optional Oahu
Enjoy both or just the Big Island
Knowing most of those who travel with us have been to Hawaii previously, we offer lots of options on our island packages. On this trip you can enjoy two islands (the Big Island of Hawaii and Oahu) or just an extended stay on the Big Island.
- 5 nights at the King Kamehameha Hotel, a perfect "walk to lots of things" location on the water, in the heart of Kailua-Kona
- Visit Hawaiian Vanilla - learn the fascinating details on how it's grown and enjoy a "very vanilla" luncheon
- Visit a macadamia nut processing plant and learn about Hawaii's "nut"
- Travel cross island to Hilo to learn more about orchids and how they are grown
- Sightseeing tour to Kealakekua Bay where Captain Cook met his fate
- On your cross-island trip, visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - learn about how the islands were born and how they continue to grow
- Evening luau on the grounds of the King Kamehameha Hotel
- On Oahu, trace the path of President Barrack Obama's high school years, perhaps meet one of his teachers
- Kualoa Ranch Movies Sites Tour on Oahu - Jurassic Park, Magnum P.I., and a long list of others were filmed in the islands
- 15 meals: Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Visit Pearl Harbor (optional) and hear the story of the attack that changed WWII
- Customize your trip with these optional (extra charge) tours/activities. Flight seeing on the Big Island (see the volcano from the sky), the Atlantis Submarine to "meet" the sea life, Deluxe Snorkel and Dolphin Watch (you can stay out of the water if you wish), Big Island Ghost Tour. On Oahu: Evening sunset casual show cruise with dinner; Pearl Harbor Tour, Waikiki Hop-on/ Hop off Tour
Depart at 11:05am and arrive in Kona at 4:35pm, after a layover in Honolulu (3 hour time change). The King Kamehameha is the only hotel our company has ever used on the island. It's now a Courtyard by Marriott. The hotel is right on the bay, and a short walk (2-3 blocks) into the village where shops and restaurants await. Relax and dine at your leisure at the hotel or in town this evening. Courtyard King Kamehameha Hotel - 5 nights (D)
Our first history lesson is this morning at Kealakekua Bay where Captain James Cook first landed in the islands in 1778. Lunch is included at the Hotel Manago, said to house the oldest restaurant in the islands. You'll hear the story, then enjoy a narrated swing through Kailua-Kona, to get acquainted with town. The rest of the afternoon is at leisure. The Ghost Walk (3/4 mile, flat walking) is included this evening (FB, L)
A late morning cruise takes us whale watching! The whales come down from Alaska in the winter to mate and play in the waters off the Hawaiian coast. The afternoon is open for optional sightseeing, relaxing at the hotel, or hanging out in town. (FB)
Today is a free day to enjoy and /or schedule an optional activity. Tonight, enjoy a traditional Luau at your hotel. It's a great package with King Kamehamaha landing on shore, abundant food and beverages, and a great show, all on the grounds of your hotel! (FB, D)
Today, a trip up the coast to learn about macadamia nuts, how they are grown, harvested and packaged for you to buy, and to visit a couple of "off-the-beaten-track" communities. Hamakua Macadamia Nut Company is one of our destinations. We'll check out the Pu'ukohola Heiau National Historic Site.
Did you know there are only a few places in the world that cultivate vanilla? One of them is right here in our Hawaiian islands. We'll travel to Hawaiian Vanilla. You'll hear how vanilla beans are grown and the amazing story about how they are pollinated and produce that long, precious "bean." Our visit includes lunch with all things vanilla. (FB, L)
This morning ride by coach across the island to Hilo, making a stop at Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park. Kilauea is still an active volcano, and here's your chance to learn more about eruptions. Arrive in Hilo mid-afternoon. Let's learn a little about those magnificent flowers found all over the islands, especially the orchids. Doubletree Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo (FB, L)
A mid-day flight takes us back to Oahu. For some, their travels are over and they will continue to Sacramento. Your flight will arrive in Sacramento at 11:50pm (5 hour flight, 3 hour time change).
The rest of us will catch a ride to Honolulu. Our home is Waikiki, towards the east end of the beach. We'll transfer to our hotel and the evening is at leisure. Plenty of shops and restaurants right outside your door. We'll dine together this evening at a popular Waikiki spot. Courtyard Waikiki - 3 nights (FB- for those headed home, FB & D for those continuing to Oahu)
Pearl Harbor is often high on many lists. We have made it optional because many people have been to Pearl Harbor previously, and might prefer to do something different. Our visit gives you a chance to go into the Visitors Center and ride the launch to the memorial. Eighty years later this is still a site that causes people to reflect.
If you prefer, take an island tour of Oahu today and skip Pearl Harbor, including waterfalls and a stop at the Polynesian Cultural Center, where you can explore six different Hawaiian villages. (FB)
Enjoy a Honolulu excursion this morning, including a look at part of the life of our 44th president, Barrack Obama. He grew up and went to school in Honolulu. The tour includes everything from Don Ho stories to the opportunity to add a tour of Shangri La, Doris Duke's historic house, in the afternoon. Or make an advance reservation and hike Diamond Head. (FB)
Our two-island group heads for home this afternoon. On the way to the airport, stop at Iolani Palace for a guided tour. Built in 1879, it was the official residence to Hawaiian Monarchs.
Our Southwest flight leaves at 3:30pm, arriving in Sacramento at 11:50pm (5hour flight, 3 hour time change). (FB)
|B||Generally a limited buffet or menu|
|FB||Full buffet or choice of menu|
|BR||Brunch, often buffet-style|
|L||Lunch, often several menu options|
|HT or AT||High or Afternoon Tea|
|D||Dinner, often several menu options|
Monday, March 27, 2023 to Sunday, April 2, 2023
Big Island Only - 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
Monday, March 27, 2023 to Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Big Island & Oahu - 16 meals; 9 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
Big Island & Oahu - $5465 p.p./dbl.occ., $6620 single
Request a Booking Now
Speak to a Staff Member
Have a question or would rather book over the phone? Call us!
|Local||(916) 361 - 2051|
|Toll-Free||(800) 951 - 5556|